So a very big happy new year to all. I am sure many of us are happy to be seeing the back end of this one!!! Although not so sure what this new year has install for us but hay we can all hope and be optimistic as a start!!!
So for my new years positive influence, I thought I would make some fortune cookies. Yes I did get all excited about the idea. I went online and searched for quotes on love, life and above all gratitude. I think we all need a bit of uplifting and some positiveness stuffed in a delicious biscuit!!
I have always loved the idea of a mystic fortune cookie. Usually given at a Chinese restaurant after the meal is ended. I loved cracking it open and reading the quote and the lucky numbers or whatever else was there.
Some years back when visiting San Fransisco , I specifically made a trip down to china town in search of the famous fortune cookie factory.
So after a long search and going through dirty side streets and not finding this place ( In my mind there were lights, a grand entrance and a little Chinese man at the front sipping tea and telling you his words of wisdom) I turned to some worker in the street to ask for some directions.
Right behind you he said!! WHAT… We were in an alley … He pointed to an open steel door and told us to pass through there and that is were the factory was.
Maybe it was hidden were my first thoughts. So in we went…. NOPPPEE looks same as the outside.
It basically looked like a warehouse . Some guy did come up to us … Not Chinese and asked what we wanted.
My enthusiasm by this point was going a little downhill, I did manage a Hi we would like to see the fortune cookie factory.
Yep here it is ….. Great !!! ok so we ended up buying a packet of the cookies , not as I imagined them. They were individually wrapped and looked very commercial and I didn’t get my words of wisdom chat with the little Chinese man with the funny pointy beard drinking matcha tea.
So we left and sat on the sidewalk and cracked one open.
Yeahh My lucky numbers were 14, 78, 98, 5, and 77.
Ok must admit it was somewhat disappointing......
Anyhow fast forward to now – Im super excited to be making the cookies. So I searched into finding meaningful quotes that people could read to bring about some hope and positiveness. YEAAHHHH I'M MAKING FORTUNE COOKIES!!!! LOVE IT!!
After a few tries - I am pleased to say that I nailed them !!!
They were crunchy , slightly sweet and I managed to get a quote in them. Looked pretty good and everyone had a fun time cracking them open , reading the quotes , having some AHAH moments and OMG thats sooo true !!!
So all in all I was happy!! happy ... Happyyyy!!!!
So the recipe is as follows:
1/3 cup fine coconut sugar
1/6 cup corn flour starch
1/6 cup Gluten free flour
¼ cup aquafaba or 2 egg whites
30 grams coconut oil
¼ cup coconut shreds.
Firstly beat the aqua-faba or egg whites until frothy and white in colour. Next add the sifted flours and coconut sugar and coconut oil. Mix until combined.
Place a baking paper on a tray and mark 6 round 8 cm circles. Now place a tablespoon of the mixture on each circle and spread it evenly over the circle. Sprinkle with coconut shreds.
Cook in a pre heated oven on 180 degrees for about 7-8 minutes. The cookies should be a rich golden brown. Take them out and immediately take one by one place a fortune in the middle and fold the cookie in half and then place it on the rim of a cup in order to fold it . Repeat with the remaining cookies.
This batch should make 18 cookies. Be sure to make 6 at a time. If the cookie hardens you will not be able to fold them.
If you find the cookies are a little on the soft side after you have folded them and they have cooled down, place them all back in the oven and put heat on 80 degrees and leave them there for 20 minutes to harden.
Keep cookies in an airtight container to maintain the crunchiness.
I have collected some of the quotes I have used posted them below:
1. A ship is safe at harbor – But that’s not what ships were built for
2. Faith is taking the first step even though you cant see the end of the path
3. “You do not find the happy life. You make it.” – Camilla Eyring Kimball
4. “Stay close to anything that makes you glad you are alive.”
5. “Make each day your masterpiece.” – John Wooden
6. “Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn’t know you left open.” – John Barrymore
7. “Happiness is not by chance, but by choice.” – Jim Rohn
8. “Impossible is for the unwilling.” – John Keats
9. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
10. “When you have a dream, you’ve got to grab it and never let go.” – Carol Burnett
11. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
12. “Dream big and dare to fail.” – Norman Vaughan
13. “No matter what you’re going through, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.” – Demi Lovato
14. “Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “I’m possible!” – Audrey Hepburn
15. “If it matters to you, you’ll find a way.” – Charlie Gilkey
16. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Dr. Robert Schuller
17. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
18.“Don’t wait, the time will never be just right.” – Napoleon Hill
19. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” – Maya Angelou
20. “Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
21. “Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
22. “The only thing that can grow is the thing you give energy to.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
So hoping you all have fun making these cookies and bring a smile to someones face as they bite into your cookie and get the quote they need to read....
Cheers, Happy Baking and And a very happy new year !!!